Monday, August 11, 2008

While I was ignoring them...



... all of the things we've planted were getting bigger. Tonight I made a big (healthy) Italian dinner with parsley and tomatoes from our own garden. We always seem to choose the quick fix, but even with Bailey screaming and hanging on my arm while I'm cooking, I still love to make a big complex meal.

We've been in an endless dinner loop, so I've been forcing myself to make only things we have never had before... or at least new variations on old favorites. Convincing Brian that there could be a healthy alternative to his beloved mini meatloaves was a painful 10 minutes I will never get back, but I won. I WON!

Brandon's 6th birthday is coming up in 2 days. I'm sad and excited and amazed all at the same time. No more toddler sizes. No more "not really" school and pretending he's still my baby. In fact, I'm positive that pretty soon he is going to tell me I can't call him baby anymore. That's gonna suck.

Brandon is having, by far, the longest birthday ever. Even longer than Brian's birthdays, which tend to drag on for at least the entire month of April. In the name of Brandon's birthday we finally checked out the zoo in Madison on Sunday and this weekend we're taking Brandon and two friends to swim at the indoor waterpark in Rockford (the entire extended family has decided to tag along). In 2 weeks, when Uncle Brad and Aunt Tabitha get back from their trip, we'll have yet another family party. No, he doesn't get a big exciting kid party with piles of presents, but I think there's a chance he will survive anyway.

We also bought our first family game console -- a Wii (which I resisted for ages). I had to agree to something and it was *not* going to be another machine that requires no input other than pressing buttons -- we get enough of that around here already. And I'm not going to give in to the whole, "buuuttttt.... Chris has more consoles than I doooooooo." (Betcha thought Brandon said that... It's more pathetic when you know it was my 37 year old husband). ;)

It is now 2:15am and Bailey is still awake after her unfortunate late nap. When Little Bear is over, we are going to desperation mode and locking ourselves in the bedroom.

Signed,

The Bedtime Enforcer

No comments: