Thursday, August 7, 2008

I've been lax...

It's been a while. I feel like we've done too much for me to include it all here. We took a trip down to Chicago and stayed right in the heart of downtown. The kids and I found an awesome indoor playground just like the one I dream to build here. I know that the economy in Janesville wouldn't support the prices they are charging for admission in the city, but I think it's absolutely essential for kids in Janesville to have something to do in the winter that is not McDonald's and Chuck E. Cheese's. Moms (and dads) need a place to relax, have some coffee, and connect with each other.

I've been thinking so much about where I want to go with my career in the future. It will only be a few short years before both kids are in school all day. I am feeling that I need a change. I need something real and tangible after so many years of selling a virtual product to virtual people for virtual money.

I'm still not sure if I have a true passion for photographing other people. I do know I am truly passionate about photographing my own children, but that isn't really an indication of anything meaningful. Who doesn't like pictures of their own kids? The line between momtographer and photographer is the question of whether I can work with and capture the emotions of children who are not my own.

A mom I just met (my new Mary Kay consultant, in fact) mentioned that she'd like me to practice on her kids, so I'm excited to give it a try. Expectations will be low, hopefully. I'm also excited to meet up with a local photographer who found me through my craigslist plea for free practice work.

I feel that I've had an AHA! metering moment and my exposure is really improving, especially now that I know all it takes to get Brandon to pose for me is $1 per finished shot. ;) It's a small price to pay for a willing model!

Here are a couple from our 2 more recent attempts. I have exhausted the areas around our yard, so I hope to beg a neighbor or two for access to their yards, too.













This post is already far too long and Brian should be walking in the door any minute! His flight was miraculously on time. First time for everything. :)

No comments: