Sunday, May 4, 2008

Yeah, it's SPAM. I won't apologize for it.



You know what? I won't. I grew up in Hawaii and we like our spam. In fact, last I checked (because I spend a lot of time checking out statistics related to spam), we liked it more than any other state. Even though I no longer live there, I still miss only one thing about my home -- the food. Lately I've realized that I have resources that have largely been untapped. I *can* make the food I remember here at home -- with recipes from the internet and ingredients that might not be perfect but are definitely close enough.




Did I mention it's light spam? Yeah, they have that. Really. They have turkey spam, too. For those who don't spend much time in the "canned meat" aisle, this is important information. Right? There are a lot of closet spam lovers out there. Don't even sit there and roll your eyes at me. You know who you are.

This is my second time making my own sushi. My technique is improving, but I think it tasted better the first time around. No doubt because I hadn't yet discovered that light spam existed and so the guilt hadn't forced me to substitute for the low calorie version.



This stuff gives it quite a kick. I usually only use a dot per piece, but I was feeling adventurous. Yep, extra hot chili sauce is as close to adventure as I'm gonna get.






This is really all wrong, but my usual spam musubi is just not in the plan anymore. This is a compromise so I don't eat a whole day's worth of calories at one meal. I was shocked at the number of calories in the rice alone -- even more than the entire portion of spam. 190 calories for 1/4 cup! Seriously. But rice is rice and can't really be substituted.



I'm off to find out what's for dinner.

No comments: