Monday, October 6, 2008

There is a difference...

If I could will the world to learn something (I won't say one thing because there are a lot of things I want the world to learn), it would be that there is a difference between what is RIGHT and what is legally acceptable. That ethics, morality, and right and wrong are not dictated by the laws of this land.

In so many cases, I hear people excuse behavior with the "it's perfectly legal" clause and I see people whose actions demonstrate this without words. I see people returning items to stores that they admit having used for almost a year just because the store policy allows for it. I see people who lie shameless to get what they want because it is so rare for honesty or compassion to flow freely that they feel they have to in order to get what they need or want.

I like to believe that there was a time in this country, maybe not so long ago, when people still truly believed that right and wrong were completely separate concepts from what their government allowed. I believe there was a time when customer service wasn't dead and when people gladly waved you into traffic. I believe there was a time when generosity was common and people truly helped one another -- and not just in the midst of a crisis or natural disaster.

These are things I want to believe. I need to believe that this spirit might still be alive somewhere -- because we might need it someday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Andrea,

I would like to comment on some of your thoughts. There are plenty of people and places in this country where what you are asking and wishing for still exists. Maybe it's because my wife and I live out in the country but most people we know, do and live the right way. There is more people like this than the media and a lot of people would like you to believe.

We also visited Wisconsin for the first time back in September. Black River Falls,Tomah,Sparta & Fort McCoy area. Great part of our country!

I spent quite a bit of time on your blog, your photography site and your Baby's First Site. Very,very well done! I also downloaded your actions to try them out. Thank you very much for sharing those.

Take care.

Darrell Mankin said...

Believe it or not, there are still good people out there. I try to make it a point to say hi to people, to smile and help others. Most of the time people react positively. Keep believing.